Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Zen of Potty Training

[Warning - the following contains typical mommy-poop talk... stop now if "you can't handle the truth"]

Okay, Potty Training is not really Zen. Kinda like trying to find an "om" moment while patiently and enthusiastically encouraging my 3yr. old little man to get 'er done.

If there is anything I am learning in this process (which I first embarked well over 6mos ago with our first "pull-ups" purchase & potty seat acquisition), it is my personal trifecta, a mantra (if you will), of potty training:

1. that there is no absolute perfect way to do this

2. trying to force the issue, when either party is not ready or committed, is akin to herding cats, and

3. every child is different (especially since my current method is a flexible hybrid of about 5 successful methods from my fellow mommyhood girlfriends).

Of course, repeating the serenity prayer helps, too. Because teaching bladder control, and for the little guy to learn control - is taking all the wisdom and creativity I have. And the laundry, ugh, I thought I did a lot before. Nope, I had disposable diapers - now I have accidents that need washing.

That said, we (he) are (is) doing pretty fabulous for only 1 week into the serious process. The Number 1 - is going great, really... and I feel that Number 2 is getting better everyday.

What's working for us -- 6 ideas for anyone who is looking to incorporate some tips.

1. We are using a potty chair (yep, the kind you have to dump and clean everytime - thank goodness for Clorox wipes). I think it gives him a good sense of control with the potty being sized down for him.

2. Prompting for potty tries. Especially at first, just a gentle reminder to go and try - starting in 3o-45 min intervals. Now, he is so good - most of the potty trips are his initiation. [Note: we tried a timer - but then he didn't want to go unless the timer went off... and that actually lead to more accidents].

3. Underwear - all the way during the day. No more Pull-ups, Easy-ups or other false senses of potty training. It seemed to only serve as a diaper substitute (with much less leak control) and the moisture absorbancy gave him no reason to want to 'go' elsewhere. He could wear a Pull-up until it was sagging around his ankles. [Note: I haven't the fortitude yet to go cold-turkey against Pull-ups, we are still using them for sleep...which I plan to phase out once daytime control is under control]

4. Extra-padded underwear for away from home outings (Gerber cotton training pants/not the vinyl outerlayer kind) - these things are the best since sliced bread. The cotton has just enough padding that he has a couple of moments to 'catch' himself and get to the potty. Otherwise, in the house, it is the supercool character underwear (Cars, Handy Manny, Thomas, etc.).

5. Bribery. I have a basket of several 2/$1.39 toy cars from Walgreens that he gets to pick a new one after a successful #2 in the potty. Hey, I figure this is WAY cheaper than diapers and eventually, he won't care so much about the cars anymore...right?

6. Spare potty chair for the road. In addition to the sand in my minivan, I currently sport a potty which we utilize at almost all stops to help prevent any accidents. FINGERS CROSSED.

Its a most interesting journey - looking forward to drier days ahead!

1 comment:

  1. Gotta get me (er, my son) some of those Gerber training pants.

    And stock up on little toys.

    Having a newborn in the house makes me realize just *how much* my almost-three-year-old really really really needs to be potty trained!

    ReplyDelete