Monday, July 6, 2009

The luckiest man... a tribute to my friend Perry

I have been on hiatus from my blog as I have been processing the passing of my dear friend Charles Perry Coe, who on June 22, 2009, 51 years young, lost his long courageous fight with ALS a.k.a. Lou Gehrig's Disease. I was fortunate enough to travel to Virginia and spend some time with him in his final days and introduce my littlest one to him, a point that gives me great joy. I hope I was some comfort to one of my best friends, his wife - now widow, and to his sons who I pray will understand what a wonderful, strong, and full of life man their father was.

And although we all new this end would come, there is nothing like the reality of the end of physical life to make us hold those we love a little tighter, breathe each breath a little sweeter and appreciate the uniqueness which is today - everyday.

In the photo: Perry [bottom left] with his sons (my ringbearers), wife Leigh (in the red bridesmaid dress), and his treasured family @ my wedding in January 2005, before his ALS diagnosis.

As to not get it wrong - the below quick facts about his disease, which has no cure - and only has one outcome, are directly taken from the ALS Association website - but it is information I feel compelled to share:

Quick Facts about ALS

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), more commonly referred to as Lou Gehrig’s disease, is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that attacks nerve cells and pathways in the brain and spinal cord. When these cells die, voluntary muscle control and movement dies with them.

  • Patients in the later stages of the disease are totally paralyzed, yet in most cases, their minds remain sharp and alert.
  • Every day, an average of 15 people are newly diagnosed with ALS — more than 5,600 people per year. As many as 30,000 Americans may currently be affected by ALS. Annually, ALS is responsible for two deaths per 100,000 people.
  • The average life expectancy of a person with ALS is two to five years from time of diagnosis. With recent advances in research and improved medical care, many patients are living longer, more productive lives. Half of all those affected live at least three years or more after diagnosis. About 20 percent live five years or more, and up to ten percent will survive more than ten years.
  • ALS occurs throughout the world with no racial, ethnic, or socioeconomic boundaries. ALS can strike anyone. Every single American is threatened by this disease.

And because Perry was such an avid golfer and rabid UNC Tarheel fan I offer the following:

P.Coe may you find all the greens of heaven,
watchover as your little men build their short game
with few handicaps and great drives
as their mom helps them grow from birdies until they soar like eagles.

Help the rest of us avoid the bunkers, limit our need for mulligans,
and try to nudge us out of the rough.

You hit the sweet spot and peace is finally with you.
Now your view, and ours of you, may be forever filled with Carolina Blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment